Hey there, I'm Fuxing (福兴, pronounced as foo-sing).
I'm a software engineer based in Singapore and the VP of Engineering at Levain. I spent the last 10 years building software for the web, mobile, backend services, and scaling infrastructure.
During my early adult years, I was fascinated by the idea of building software and how it can be used to solve the world's problems and reach millions of people with a computer and an internet connection. Since then, I've developed a passion for all things software engineering and everything that surrounds it.
This is my personal blog where I write about my thoughts on software engineering, leadership, and life. What I write here is my own opinion and does not represent any organizations I work for.
- Started my software engineering coursework in 2012. During the same year, I was introduced to cloud-native infrastructure through AWS, followed by Azure and GCP.
- Published my first Android app in 2014. Written in Java, it was a simple app that allowed SP (the school I was attending at that time) students to check their timetable, friends' timetables, and manage their classes.
- Released my first iOS app, written in Swift and Objective-C, in 2015 for a contracted client.
- Developed my first microservice in 2015 under a geospatial startup contracted to build a geocoding and reverse geocoding service for Grab Thailand. This RESTful API was written in Ruby on Rails, Solr, and custom Lucene code and handled millions of requests monthly.
- Worked on a Scala-based corpus engine in 2016 to power data ingestion, search, indexing, and bucketing (ETL) for use with machine learning.
- From 2017 to 2019, worked on munch-core, a full-stack web app written in Java and Python using Elastic, Keras, and TensorFlow to power data ingestion, search, and machine learning of food data.
- Continuously worked on a Nuxt.js web app in 2018 for Munch.
- Released my 2nd iOS App using Swift in 2018 and the 4th Android app using Flutter in 2019 for Munch.
- Modernized university coursework in 2020 by introducing Infrastructure as Code. Terraform, Kubernetes, and Helm were used to deploy increasingly complex cloud-native infrastructure.
- Proposed and led the modernization of GovTech (GDS Grants) TeamCity CI/CD Pipeline to use Kotlin DSL IAC in 2020.
- Authored vue-horizontal in 2020. It's an ultra-simple, pure Vue.js horizontal layout for modern responsive web with zero dependencies. This layout enables developers to create horizontal scrolling experiences.
- For a community outreach in 2020 (SMU Heartcode), I developed end-to-end teaching
conveyed through a simple web app in Vue.js. A CLI (
heartcode deploy) was included to allow students to publish their own original work on the web with their domain names.
- Authored and published multi-labeler in 2021. It's a GitHub Action that allows multi-labeling for title, body, comments, commit messages, branches, base branches, authors, or files.
- Authored and published oss-governance-bot in 2021. This is my take on a GitHub bot that enforces governance on open-source projects without sending a contributor through a series of mountainous compliance processes.
- Lead the development of DeFiChain Light Wallet. This includes scaffolding the project from scratch, setting up CI/CD, and developing the initial architecture which saw its initial release in 2021 into the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. Similarly, lead the development of DeFiScan — a blockchain explorer for DeFiChain.
- Designed and developed a multi-region active-active self-healing infrastructure on AWS to sustain the growth of DeFiChain's API traffic. This infrastructure handled billions of API requests monthly at peak in 2022.